I love fall. It is my very favorite season! As soon as my first neighbor puts a pumpkin on their porch, I am ready to decorate my home for fall too. I've gathered five of my favorite DIY Polka Dot Pumpkin tutorials here for you. They are all on the EASY scale, not to worry. Grab the kids, spray paint, glue dots, glitter, tape and drills (for the power tool fans!) to make-your-own polka dot pumpkins this year. P.S. - I keep my pumpkins around the house 'til Thanksgiving!
#1 - Make your own "Glitter Pumpkin" with Craftaholics Anonymous
- Paint your pumpkin (or Fun-Kin) with two coats of white paint
- Stick thin Glue-Dots stickers all-over your pumpkin
- Sprinkle on glitter (any color) over a box or tray to catch excess glitter
- See more of her Halloween Mantle tutorials (they are all fantastic!)
#2 - Momtastic's Polka Dot Painted Pumpkin
Here's a craft that the kids can help you make. It would be great as an activity that doubles as their take-home favor too!
- Wipe down your pumpkin (or Fun-Kin)
- Find a small circle shape to use as a stencil (like a plastic Easter egg)
- Trace circles all over your pumpkin with a pen or sharpie
- Freehand paint inside your circles with any color paint
- Click to see more Pumpkin Crafts from Momtastic that your kids will love!
#3 - Black Stripe "Trick or Treat" Pumpkins by Midwest Living:
- Before using your black spray paint, place masking tape over the areas that you want to stay pumpkin-orange.
- Spray paint your pumpkins black.
- Remove the tape to reveal your design.
- Now paint your favorite Halloween saying between the stripes.
- Want dots? With a large bit, drill holes in the black painted stripes.
- View all 40 Pumpkin Projects by Midwest Living.
#4 - Drill-Bit Polka Dot Pumpkins by Eddie Ross
- For smaller pumpkins, cut a hole in the bottom to fit a small votive candle, then clean out the insides.
- Use a 3/8" drill bit to drill "polka dots" all over.
- For larger pumpkins, cut off the top and clean out the insides.
- Use a larger bit to drill larger "polka dots".
- Place a votive candle inside (or battery-operated LED candle) for that GLOW we all love!
#5 - Wood Block Painted Pumpkins by Simply Kierste
- Start with a 4x4 wood post from your home improvement store, ask them to cut into 3 lengths for you: 10", 7" and 4".
- Paint each block with your base coat (white if you want orange stripes or orange dots). Let dry.
- Cover with circle stickers or tape off your stripes and then paint your top color (orange). Let dry.
- Remove the stickers or tape and drill a hole in the top to fit your stick "stem".
- Very lightly sand all over for her cute, distressed look. Read her full tutorial.
I hope you make one of these adorable polka dot pumpkins to decorate your home for fall. They are perfect for fall birthday parties too. You can't go wrong with polka dots and the color orange. I love it!
Happy Fall! -Sally